lördag 27 april 2013

338 days to go: current state of the thesis

Since the last time I updated, the first week was quite productive, and the second week terribly unproductive. Three meetings, and some more research work for my second chapter. I haven’t been doing very much writing new stuff; much of it had been incorporating feedback from one of my supervisors about the style of formalization the paper I’m writing should have, and discussing with my other supervisor about the structure of my introduction. Little done in terms of number of words, but hopefully a fair lift in the article quality.
The difficult thing about editing stuff is that (at least for me) it is easy to feel like I’m just stuck in one place forever and ever - getting an objective measure of how much progress I’ve actually made that can convince my self doubting mind seems nigh impossible.
For the coming weeks, I have an upgrade meeting coming up in a few weeks time that is intended to check that I’m on track for finishing my phd. For this I need one to two draft chapters written, a cover letter introducing my research, a list of “training"a planned structure of the thesis, and a concrete time plan for the coming year. I also got a poster accepted to a conference in July, so that needs to be written as well. I do tend to be able to work towards deadlines quite well, so that should move the word count upwards somewhat.
Current status:
Summary: 774 words, rough sketch.
Introduction: 800 words, rough draft.
Chapter 1: 837 words, rough structure draft.
Chapter 2:5206 words,revised 1 time since last time.
Chapter 3:300 words, outline in place, research to do.
Chapter 4: 0 words.
Chapter 5: 0 words.
Bibliography:0 words.
Appendix: 0 words.
Total: 7345/50000 words. 472 more since last blog.
Average words per day needed until 01/04/2014: 126.


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar