tisdag 9 april 2013


356 days to go: countdown to thesis submission

I am currently registered as a PhD student, funded by a EU project to research novel statistical methods for analysing test results on the presence of pathogens in wildlife. I have been trying to do this for the last two years, and in a little less than one year  my funding runs out (my last quarterly payment is on 31st of December 2013, and 1st of April 2014 marks the end of my third year).

 Hm... That sounds scary.

In order to help produce a neat, 50k word package of novel research by that date, I have decided to start documenting my progress on a weekly basis.  This is both so that I can get a nice carrot of "wohoo! look how much I've got done in the last week", and a stick of risking publically admitting any woefully meager posts the times I fall prey to my all-too-common tendencies of plenty of procrastination. 

So! Here goes. A rule of thumb for a UK thesis seems to be 50 000 words, and somewhere between 60 and 300 pages.  This is a sketch of my thesis structure together with how much, or little, I have completed on each chapter and section thus far:

-----------------

How to count bugs in wild animals:
Some statistical methods for wildlife disease surveillance
[Note: This is a non-approved, silly title that most likely is very far from the final one]


Contents

Foreword
Current word count: 91
Current status: Dreamy visualisation of when I can afford to thank everyone for my finished, wonderful thesis.


Summary
Current word count: 200 
Current status: random scribbles


Introduction 
Current word count: 482
Current status: start of a rough structure

Chapter 1: 
A review of statistical methods used  in wildlife disease surveillance
Current word count: 800
Current status: Rough structure draft, and some structured reading done

Chapter 2:
Recovering dynamic trends from multiple test data
Current word count: 5000 words
Current status: Journal article in the final rounds (i.e. five more or so) of review before submission.
Deadline: Submission before summer, i.e before end of May.


Chapter 3. 
Correlation and causation in multi-pathogen arrays
Current word count: 300
Current status: First research phase
Deadlines: Preliminary first report due in two weeks,  Chapter draft by September 1st.


Chapter 4: ?
[Another method chapter, the content of which depending on data and what seems like a logical expansion]. 
Current word count: 0
Current status: Not started
Deadlines: Chapter Draft finished by Dec 1st.

Chapter 5:
Statistical results from the WildTech project
Current word count: 0
Current status: Not started
Deadlines: Chapter draft finished by Jan 1st.

Bibliography

Appendix


Total: 6873/50000 words.
Average words per day needed until 01/04/2014: 118

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar